Episode 223 - February 27, 2017
6:00pm - SHOW START
This week on the Stogie Geeks show, Mike Bellody of MLB Cigar Ventures makes his triumphant return, our Debonaire Ideal shows you how to review a cigar like a true stogie geek, and we review our stogies of the week. All that and more, on this edition of the Stogie Geeks show!
6:00-7:00pm - Mike Bellody, MLB Cigar Ventures
Mike’s passion for cigars was ignited more than twenty years ago, when he smoked his first premium cigar. Since founding MLB Cigar Ventures, he has developed cigars with industry giants like Jose "Pepin" Garcia, Jamie Garcia, Manuel Quesada, and Ernesto Perez-Carrillo.
7:00-7:30pm - Debonaire Ideal: How to Review a Cigar: The Basics
I want to start with 5 simple rules:
- Try to smoke more than one - Try to smoke at least 2 of the same cigar and size you are reviewing. More than two great. If its just one, disclose that in the review. Most of our stogies of the week are reviewed when we smoke just one.
- Smoke review cigars under the same conditions - Try to have the same, or similar conditions, review them in a lounge or your smoking room. When you smoke in your car, outside, on the lake or golf course, this is not the time to review. Even walking, unless you review all your cigars when walking in the same environment.
- Be mindful of food and drink - Some people say just water, whatever. Just be mindful that whatever you have eaten just before you smoke and whatever you are drinking while you smoke will impact you palette. Great reason to smoke more than one, and don't be afraid to disclose your pairing.
- Don't be afraid to re-visit - If you smoke something, and you don't like it, smoke it again after some time. Conditions matter, as does the environment. If a cigar has to be re-lit, give it some rest.
- Reviews are always size specific - No size will smoke the same, so always disclose the size you are smoking. Don't make generalizations about a cigar line based on one size either.
7:30-8:30pm - Stogies of the Week